The year 1913 found the Masonic Fraternity well established in Hawaii, but the three Lodges on Oahu were located in Honolulu, an inconvenient distance from the rapidly growing Army post at Schofield Barracks. Where ever there are freemen there must inevitably be Masons. On February 14, 1913, a group of men recognized each other as Masons in good standing assembled, in the quarters of William C. Grindley, for the purpose of establishing a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons. This meeting resulted in a petition to the Grand Lodge of California, and after some necessary qualifications were met, a dispensation was grated on December 8, 1913. Schofield Lodge held its first meeting ten days later.
The first Lodge was located on the second floor of the Leilehus Department Store, on the Post, and in rooms that had been specifically built for the purpose. There was no other structure suitable with a suitable second story in the area. The Schofield quarters measured 40 feet by 40 feet, and the Lodge was required to pay a monthly rental of fifty dollars in gold coins for the first year and twenty-five dollars, also paid in gold coins monthly for the second payable in advance. The Lodge was furnished at a cost of $507.00, with the brothers advancing the money. The initiation fee for the three degrees was fifty dollars, dues were six dollars a year, and the Lodge opened with an initial membership of nineteen dollars.
The Charter was issued on October 15, 1914 and the Schofield Lodge became the 443rd Lodge within the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of California.
On May 25, 1915, the future of the lease having become somewhat questionable, a proposal was made to erect a new lodge hall on the U.S. Reservation at an established cost of $4,200. Nothing materialized from this idea, but the dream of a new home persisted, and on April 21, 1917, an architect was commissioned to design a new temple.
This project also failed and the Lodge continued to meet in its old quarters until 1919, when the lodge building became scheduled for demolition. Something had to be done, and done quickly.
Worshipful Master David P. Solomon came to the rescue of the Lodge by erecting a two story building, the Lodge quarters on the second floor and a garage operated by W. M. Solomon on the ground floor. Access to the Lodge Room was by means of a hinge outside ladder that could be drawn up when the Lodge was in session. Tiling the Lodge became a simple matter.
The Lodge settled down in its new home, and for the next few years the Lodge business continued in its normal course. In 1925, due to the death of Worshipful Brother Solomon, the lodge was closed and the ground floor became a Chop Suey Parlor.
The Lodge continued to grow and to meet amidst the appetizing aroma that drifted up from below, but in 1931 the site was required for military use and Schofield Lodge had to move again. A Building Committee was appointed, and their efforts resulted in Schofield Lodge’s new home on beautiful banks of Lake Wilson. It was erected at a cost of $12,162.33, and it was named the “Hubert Wood Memorial”. Schofield Lodge occupied their home until February of 1969 when it was forced again to move.
However, this possibility had been foreseen, and the Building and Finance Committee had been active and hardworking. Resulting in the beautiful Temple we now occupy. Its cornerstone was laid on Saturday, June 29, 1968 and the first meeting was held on December 10, 1968.
On May 20, 1989 Hawaii Grand Lodge is established and action was taken whereby constituent Lodges in the Hawaii jurisdiction would discontinue the use of Lodge numbers, and be identified by name only. Schofield Lodge obtains a new charter under the Grand Lodge of Hawaii later that year.
Schofield Lodge continues to be a strong military lodge bringing in the majority of its member from the nearby Army base. Even though these members are often called to serve there country they always have a place to call there Masonic home.